A thrilling crime drama set in 1900s Vienna, from acclaimed screenwriter Steve Thompson
1900s Vienna, a hotbed of philosophy, science and art, where a clash of cultures and ideas collide in the city’s grand cafes and opera houses.
Max Liebermann is a brilliant young English doctor and student of famed psychoanalyst Sigmund Freud. When Max comes into contact with Oskar Rheinhardt, a Detective Inspector struggling with a strange case, he agrees to help him investigate a series of unusual and disturbing murders. Max’s extraordinary skills of perception and psychology and Oskar’s forceful tenacity lead them to solve some of Vienna’s most mysterious and deadly cases.
From acclaimed screenwriter Steve Thompson (Deep State, Leonardo, Sherlock), based on the bestselling novels by Frank Tallis, Vienna Blood is directed by Academy Award® and Emmy® nominee Robert Dornhelm (Anne Frank: The Whole Story) and Umut Dag (Cracks in Concrete).
Filmed in English and on location in Vienna, Vienna Blood stars Matthew Beard (The Imitation Game, Dracula) as Max Liebermann, and Juergen Maurer (Vorstadtweiber, Tatort) as Detective Inspector Oskar Rheinhardt.
SCRIPTED / DRAMA
S1: 3 x 90’ or 6 x 45’; S2 3 x 90’ or 6 x 45’; S3 3 x 90’ or 6 x 45’
- Licensed to the UK (BBC), US (PBS), France (France 3), Spain (Moviestar), Finland (YLE), Australia (SBS), plus over 100 additional territories across Central and Eastern Europe, the Baltics, the Middle East and Asia
- BBC Two’s No 2 rated drama series of 2019
- Delivered an average 23% market share for ORF
- Premiere posted a 14.6% share for France 3; No 1 show of the night in France
- Averaged 11.5% for linear viewers in Germany, beating the slot average
Written by Steve Thompson
Directed by Robert Dornhelm, Umut Dag
Starring Matthew Beard, Juergen Maurer
Produced by Endor Productions and MR Film in co-production with Red Arrow Studios International, ORF (Austria) and ZDF (Germany), with the assistance of Televisionfund Austria, TV-Filmfund Vienna and Niederoesterreich Kultur